Data Science for non-Data Scientists
This unique 5-day training will teach business users how to explore, analyze and visualize (their) business data with powerful self-service tools
Data Science for non-Data Scientists – mode of study
Option 1: 5-day public training
Option 2: In-company training
Data Science for non-Data Scientists – why?
Data analytics has become critical for many business decision makers. With new, powerful and affordable tools available on the market, more and more business people are finding they are empowered to do something intelligent with their data. As a result, many businesses already have a number of valuable super users. Their hybrid role bridges the gap between the high level, technical data scientist and the more business-oriented data discovery analyst.
In this unique 5-day training you gain the expertise and skills to perform some of the analytics functions that have been traditionally reserved for data scientists.
Data scientists – worldwide shortage
The demand for data scientists continues to grow beyond supply. Companies of all kinds are feeling the acute shortage of trained data scientists today. Empowering business people to do much of the data analysis themselves allows the highly trained data scientist to focus on the things that require specific expertise.
As a business user/non-data scientist you can succeed in this critical position, but only if you are empowered with the right processes and tools. You need to be able to analyze the data without having extensive technical knowledge of the underlying IT applications and infrastructure. Self-service data preparation and advanced analytical tools will provide you with the ability to perform the critical task of combining big data with your organization's issues and opportunities. The growing number of powerful self-service tools available on the market, makes this possible.
Who should attend this data science training?
Is your primary job function outside the field of statistics and analytics? Do you have a line-of-business role, are you a business analyst, data analyst or a member of the Business Intelligence (BI) or IT team? Do you want to practise the self-service data preparation capabilities of SAS and the ease of use of advanced analytics in exploring and visualizing data? Then this is the training for you!
We have developed a unique 5-day curriculum to specifically address the training needs of non-data scientists/business users. If you are willing to learn new methods and use new tools, regardless of whether or not you currently use SAS software, then join this 5-day training for the non-data scientist.
As a participant of the Data Science for non-Data Scientists training you should have a solid business domain knowledge and be familiair with working with data. No programming knowledge is required. No prior SAS experience is needed. A basic understanding of statistics and the willingness to learn is all you need. We will provide access to on-line learning material prior to the training to help you get started.
What will you learn?
After this 5-day training you will be able to perform the main data-related tasks for the non-data scientist using the point-and-click capabilities of SAS Visual Analytics: data access and data manipulation, data exploration using analytics, and building predictive models. You will learn how to:
- load data from different formats
- prepare data for analysis
- analyze data using effective data visualization
- build and compare data mining tools
Number of participants
Due to the interactive character of this training and to optimize the benefits you derive from various exercises, we keep the number of participants limited.
Level of the training
The Data Science for non-Data Scientists training is held on a bachelor level.
Would you like your logo/banner to be displayed here and are you interested in becoming a partner? Join us now and you and your business will have exposure during our monthly courses, on our website, in our brochures and through our newsletters. Contact us for more information!
Data Science for non-Data Scientists – in-company
With at least 5 delegates an in-house training could be your best choice. An in-company training has several advantages. It:
- saves you time and money
- enables you to train in the comfort of your own working environment
- Will take place at a date chosen by and convenient for you
- Sensitive issues can be openly discussed because there are no outsiders present
Do you prefer an in-house training? Please call us at +31 (0)40 246 0220 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the possibilities.
DATA SCIENCE FOR NON-DATA SCIENTISTS – PROGRAM
I. BIG DATA AND ANALYTICS
Data Science - introduction
- The era of abundance
- Big data explained
- Data analysis overview
Statistics - introduction
- Examining data distributions
- Obtaining and interpreting sample statistics
- Examining data distributions graphically
- Using exploratory data analysis
- Producing correlations
- Fitting a simple linear regression model
II. PREPARING FOR ANALYSIS
Getting started with Visual Analytics
- Exploring SAS Visual Analytics concepts
- Using the SAS Visual Analytics home page
- Discussing the course environment and scenario
Using Visual Analytics Explorer
- Examining SAS Visual Analytics Explorer
- Selecting data and defining data item properties
- Creating visualizations
- Enhancing visualizations with analytics
- Interacting with visualizations and explorations
Examining Visual Data Builder
- Exploring SAS Visual Data Builder
- Creating simple queries
Creating complex queries in Visual Data Builder
- Importing data using SAS Visual Data Builder
- Creating calculated columns and filtering data
- creating advanced queries
Advanced topics for Visual Data Builder
- Accessing user-defined formats
Using the Explorer and Designer to load data
- Using the Explorer and Designer to import data
- Using the Explorer and Designer to create calculated columns
III. ANALYTICAL DATA VISUALIZATION AND MODELING DATA
- Understanding segmentation
- Using cluster analysis
Models with continuous targets
- Managing projects and models
- Using linear regression models
- Using generalized linear models
Models with categorical targets
- Using logistic regression
- Using decision trees
Model comparison and assessment
- Comparing models
- Scoring models
You will be able to put your knowledge into practice with real-world, scenario-based examples.
Your trainers are all leaders in big data and analytics.
The Data Science for non-Data Scientists training consists of 5 days. The training will take place near Amsterdam (the Netherlands) on the following dates:
Data Science for non-Data Scientists – training I
- 19 + 20 October, 16 November and 7 + 8 December 2020