Conducting Internal Investigations – official ACFE (CPE) training
This 2-day official ACFE training will prepare you for every step of an internal investigation into potential fraud, from receiving the initial allegation to testifying as a witness.
Conducting Internal Investigations – mode of study
Option 1: 2-day training (in-class and live online)
Option 2: In-house training (in-class and live online)
IMF Academy is an ACFE authorized training organization
IMF Academy is an ACFE authorized training organization and the exclusive provider of CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner) trainings in the Benelux. Next to the Conducting Internal Investigations training we also organize the official ACFE 2-day Fraud Risk Management training.
An internal investigation will signal to employees that your company does not tolerate fraud!
Conducting an internal investigation can be a difficult task. An investigation into employee wrongdoing can be costly, disruptive and time-consuming. Moreover, it can lead to a variety of legal problems and other unexpected complications if it is not conducted with the utmost care and confidentiality. However, a well-run internal investigation can enhance your company's overall well-being and can help detect the source of lost funds, identify responsible parties and recover losses. It can also provide a defense to legal charges by terminated or disgruntled employees. But perhaps, most important, an internal investigation will signal to all employees that your company does not tolerate fraud!
What will you learn in this official ACFE training?
The 2-day training Conducting Internal Investigations will prepare you for every step of an internal investigation into potential fraud, from receiving the initial allegation to testifying as a witness. You will learn to lead an internal investigation with accuracy and confidence by gaining knowledge about various topics, such as relevant legal aspects, using computers, collecting and analyzing internal and external information, interviewing witnesses and writing reports. The training includes a relevant case study, which you will work through from beginning to end. In a nutshell you will learn how to:
- Assess the risk of fraud within your organization and respond when it is identified
- Detect and investigate fraud with the use of data analytics
- Collect documents and electronic evidence needed in the course of an investigation
- Perform effective information-gathering and admission-seeking interviews
- Discern legal and regulatory concerns related to internal investigations
Who should attend?
This official ACFE training is meant for Certified Fraud Examiners (CFEs) and other anti-fraud professionals, attorneys, legal professionals and law enforcement personnel, controllers and corporate managers, detectives and private investigators, Governance Risk management and Compliance (GRC) officers, IT professionals, loss prevention and security professionals, and all fraud professionals who want to earn 16 CFE credits for their CFE recertification.
There are no specific prerequisites for the official ACFE training Conducting Internal Investigations.
Educational level of the training
The training will be held on a higher educational level.
Maintaining your Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) credential – CPE requirements
To maintain your CFE credential, you are required to earn at least 20 hours of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) every 12-month period. Al least 10 of these hours must directly relate to the detection and deterrence of fraud and 2 hours must directly relate to ethics. If you have earned more than 20 hours of CPE in your previous reporting period, you may rollover up to 10 hours to meet your current CPE requirements.
With this official ACFE training Conducting Internal Investigations you will earn 16 CPE credits for your CFE recertification.
About the ACFE (Association of Certified Fraud Examiners)
The ACFE is the world's largest anti-fraud organization and the premier provider of anti-fraud trainings and education. Together with more than 85.000 members in 160 countries and chapters in 125 countries, ACFE is reducing business fraud worldwide and inspiring public confidence in the integrity and objectivity within the profession.
ACFE CPE credits
Individuals holding a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) certification may claim 16 CPE credits to maintain their certification. You will receive a certificate of completion that includes the number of CPE hours granted to claim your CPE credits.
You and/or your colleagues might also be interested in the following trainings:
With at least 5 participants an in-house training could be your best option. An in-company training, customized to the needs of your organization, has many advantages and:
- saves you and your colleagues time
- enables you to train in the comfort of your own working environment
- saves travel and accommodation expenses
- can be arranged at a time convenient for you
- sensitive issues can be discussed openly since no outsiders are present
Do you prefer an in-company training? Please call us at +31 (0) 40 246 02 20 or send an e-mail to [email protected] for more information. We are more than happy to discuss the various possibilities with you.
Conducting Internal Investigations – program
- Foundations of the fraud examination process
Legal considerations during internal investigations
- Prior to initiating an investigation, you (and CFEs specifically) must be aware of the myriad legal concerns and regulations that might be relevant in the course of conducting an internal fraud examination
Planning an internal investigation
- Strategies for planning an internal fraud investigation
- Selecting members of your investigative team
Investigating fraud using data analytics
- As data analysis is an integral element of modern fraud detection and investigation, you will be provided with an understanding of how it can be one of the most powerful tools in an investigator's repertoire
Emerging technological trends
- Emerging technological trends such as byod, cloud computing, and social media
- Potential effects of these technological trends on the investigative process
Internal evidence retrieval
- The process of retrieving internal documents and electronic evidence while maintaining a proper chain of custody
External evidence retrieval
- Insight regarding the collection of evidence from external sources ranging from public records to covert operations
- Various forms of information-gathering interviews
- Understand which type of questions to ask and when to ask them
- When the investigation has progressed to the point where a suspect has been identified and all relevant evidence has been collected, the investigation moves to the admission-seeking interview phase. You will be guided through the strategies needed to obtain an admission of guilt and a signed confession
Concluding the investigation
- The report writing process
- Post-investigation scenarios such as presenting your case to a prosecutor and testifying as a witness
All participants will receive a Personal Certificate. Individuals holding a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) certification may claim 16 CPE credits to maintain their certification.
Robert Lamers CFE
Robert Lamers is an anti-fraud and crisis management specialist. He served as a senior corporate anti-fraud officer with NN Group and ING Insurance for many years. Robert is head of European Partnership Development at the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) and toptrainer of our CFE and the ACFE CPE trainings.
Peter Temminck is senior investigator at NN Group. Before, Peter was senior internal & regulatory investigator at Rabobank. Peter is an experienced investigator with a demonstrated history of working in the financial services industry. He is a strong legal professional skilled in fraud investigations, financial risk, (enterprise) risk management, and KYC.
The training Conducting Internal Investigations lasts for 2 days. Each day starts at 09.30 hrs and ends around 17.00 hrs. The training will take place close to Amsterdam (The Netherlands), in-class and live online, up to your choice, on the following dates:
- 9 + 10 October 2023
- 15 + 16 April 2024
- 10 + 11 October 2024
Fee / Registration
The fee of the 2-day official ACFE training Conducting Internal Investigations, is € 1,980 (VAT excl.) per person. The fee includes all lunches, coffee/tea, the official ACFE documentation and 16 CPE credits for maintaining your CFE certification (if applicable).