Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
Pass the Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) exam - the gold standard of excellence in the anti-fraud profession worldwide - in no time by attending this official ACFE (Association of Certified Fraud Examiners) accredited 5-day CFE training
Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) – mode of study
Option 1: 5-day classroom training or remote (live online), up to your choice
Option 2: In-house training
- Receive 16 CPE credits for your CFE recertification with the ACFE CPE trainings Fraud Risk Management and Conducting Internal Investigations!
The Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) credential is recognized by numerous leading organizations all over the world
Certified Fraud Examiners (CFEs) have a unique set of skills that is not found in any other career field or discipline. They combine knowledge of complex financial transactions with an understanding of methods, law, and how to resolve allegations of fraud. Fraud examiners are also trained to understand not only how fraud occurs, but also why. Being a CFE denotes proven expertise in fraud prevention, detection, deterrence, and investigation. With the CFE credential, you will experience career growth and you can quickly position yourself as a leader in the global anti-fraud community.
The Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) credential is recognized in the hiring and promotion policies of numerous leading organizations all over the world. Nearly 90% of Fortune 500 companies employ at least one CFE. Did you know that CFEs earn 34% more than their non-certified colleagues?
Benefits of attending this CFE training
The benefits of attending this 5-day CFE training are:
- You can take the official online CFE exam sections at the end of each training day. You can be certified as a CFE within 5 days! (Of course you also have the possibility to take the CFE exam after this training)
- You receive one free resit of one exam section of your choice (if necessary)
- You receive additional and exclusive training materials provided by the trainers and ACFE
- The number of participants is strictly limited to give you all the attention you need
- The success rate of passing the CFE exam with this CFE training is 95%!
All former delegates are (extremely) satisfied with this CFE training and 100% of the delegates would definitely recommend the training to colleagues.
ACFE – the world's largest anti-fraud organization
ACFE (Association of Certified Fraud Examiners) is the world's largest anti-fraud organization and premier provider of anti-fraud trainings and education. Together with more than 90,000 members in 160 countries and chapters in 125 countries, ACFE is reducing business fraud worldwide and inspiring public confidence in the integrity and objectivity within the profession.
- IMF Academy is the only ACFE accredited training organisation and the exclusive provider of CFE (exam) trainings in The Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg. We deliver CFE in-company trainings all over the world!
About the CFE exam sections
Master the skills and knowledge you need to pass the CFE exam by attending this official Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) training and become a CFE now! The CFE exam tests your knowledge of the 4 major areas that comprise the fraud examination Body of Knowledge:
III: Financial Transactions & Fraud Schemes
IV: Fraud Prevention & Deterrence
About the CFE exam
To earn the Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) credential, you are required to pass the CFE exam. ACFE is the exclusive owner of all CFE exam sections. The CFE exams are online and physically administered by Prometric.
- The CFE exam is a computer-based, multiple-choice, closed book, and closed-notes exam consisting of 4 exam sections
- The exam contains 400 questions in total
- Each exam section has 100 multiple choice and true/false questions
- Each exam section will take 2 hours of your time
- You must score at least 75% correct on each exam section in order to pass
- The exam has a number of controls to ensure integrity
- The exam can be taken during the training week or at a later time convenient to you
CFE target group
Are you interested in taking your career to the next level by earning the gold standard of professional excellence in the anti-fraud profession? Are you an (internal) auditor, CPA, investigator, national state and law enforcement officer, prosecutor, security professional, risk and loss management professional, lawyer, accountant, controller, compliance and fraud officer or any other professional dealing with fraud? Then this is your chance to follow a qualified training and become certified as a Fraud Examiner (CFE) within 5 days.
Are you eligible to be CFE certified?
Your eligibility to become CFE certified is based upon a point system which awards credits for education and experience. The admission requirements are:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent)
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience, such as accountancy, auditing, criminology, investigation, loss prevention, law enforcement or legal experience related to fraud
- A minimum of 50 qualification points
If you do not yet qualify to earn the CFE title, but you have a minimum of 40 points in the eligibility CFE point system, you can take the training and exam and become officially certified once you have gained sufficient relevant professional experience.
The CFE exam qualifying point system
- 5 qualifying points for each full year of fraud-related experience
- 40 points for a Bachelor's degree or equivalent (or, 10 points for each year of college if you have no degree)
- 5 points for a Master's degree or equivalent
- 10 points for a Ph.D., J.D., or equivalent
- 10 points for every professional certificate (with a maximum of 40 points)
How to maintain your CFE credential?
To maintain your CFE credential, you are required to earn at least 20 Continuing Professional Education (CPE) hours every 12-month period. At least 10 hours must directly relate to the detection and deterrence of fraud and 2 hours to ethics. If you have earned more than 20 CPE hours in your previous reporting period, you may rollover up to 10 hours to meet your current CPE requirements.
For your recertification you can join the Fraud Risk Management training (16 CPE credits incl. 2 Ethics credits) and the training Conducting Internal Investigations (16 CPE credits). In addition to completing the annual CPE requirements, you must pay an annual membership fee in order to remain a member of ACFE and retain the CFE credential. If your membership expires, you are not allowed to use the CFE credential anymore.
Receive all the knowledge and tools to pass the CFE exam successfully
When attending this 5-day official Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) training you will receive the following:
- 1-year free Associate ACFE membership. As an associate member of ACFE you gain access to timely and practical information including Fraud Magazine, monthly member newsletters, free quarterly webinars, videos, tools, and resources to support your anti-fraud efforts
- CFE exam preparation course software with study questions and practice exams. Review of important concepts, covered at the CFE exam, with more than 1,400 study questions and simulation of the CFE exam environment with timed practice exams
- Fraud Examiners Manual. The Fraud Examiners Manual is an over 2,000-page guide and is your essential resource as an anti-fraud professional. The Fraud Examiners Manual is the definitive body of knowledge for the anti-fraud profession, providing comprehensive guidance for anti-fraud professionals that no other publication can match. The guide explores examination techniques and procedures and gives you a detailed explanation of the answer to each study question
- Exclusive training materials prepared by the trainers and tailored to the exam
- The CFE exam consisting of 4 exam sections plus 1 free resit of an exam section of your choice
- Five full days of face-to-face or live online training facilitated by authorised CFE Exam Review Course trainers with plenty of time for discussions and personal attention
- Exclusive access to the 'CFE Exam Prep Flashcard App'. This app allows you to familiarize yourself with the terminology and concepts covered in the CFE exam and consists of hundreds of flashcards that complement the CFE exam preparation course software. The app is available for Android and iOS versions
Level of the training
The Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) training is held on a bachelor level.
You and/or your colleagues might also be interested in the following trainings:
- Fraud Risk Management
- Conducting Internal Investigations
- ISO 31000 Risk Management
- Business Process Management (BPM)
Former delegates rate this Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) training with a 9 (on a scale from 1 to 10)! Some remarks of former participants:
"The training sessions were in line with my expectations. Efficient and effective use of my time. Course organisation and location were great!"
Lead analyst internal control
"Perfectly tailored training which gave me the knowledge and confidence needed to actually take the exam. Thanks! A huge "Thank you" to Robert, the trainer, for making the training so approachable and understandable. A lot of insight as well. Much appreciated indeed!"
Ntube Sone Ngole, Senior Legal Counsel Regulatory Affairs, Kinross Gold Corporation
"The trainers were organized, provided sufficient explanations and followed the agenda."
Lead analyst internal control
"It's amazing how 5 days can cover such a big topic and a manual of 2,000 pages. A great job of structuring and pointing at the most important issues!"
"The trainers add each other in an excellent mode: high professionalism together with different soft skills and a different manner make these 5 days bright, valuable and unforgettable."
"It was very comprehensive. The trainers were very detailed and helpful. Very knowledgeable and demonstrated relevant experience."
"I liked all the examples which were added to the course by the trainers.''
''Skilled, accessible and pleasant trainers!!"
"The instructors were really interesting in giving experience and guide very well in the achievement of the exam. Material is straight to the point. Trainers were putting a lot of effort to give us the possibility to pass the exam and to make the course interactive and interesting."
Cedric Antonelli, Partner, BDO Belgium
"The CFE training was arranged in a very efficient manner. Robert is very flexible in his training. He also has a very clear way of explaining the chapters. Due to this I was able to pass all my exams."
"I was very happy with the trainer (Robert Lamers) and support throughout (from Sonja Boelhouwer from IMF Academy). As a result, I managed to pass all my exams on time and for the first time. Thank you for coming up with alternative solution in these difficult circumstances!"
Jooble is an international job search website used daily by millions of people in 71 countries. The company has been operating in the online recruitment market since 2006. In its 14 years of existence, the company has gone from a startup founded by two students to a global employment platform. Today, Jooble is among the TOP-5 websites in the world in terms of traffic in the jobs and career segment, according to SimilarWeb.
Would you like your logo/banner to be displayed here and are you interested in becoming a partner? Join us now and you and your business will have exposure on our website, in our brochures and in our newsletters. Contact us for more information!
Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) – in-company
With at least 5 participants an in-house training could be your best option. An in-company training, customized to the needs of your organization, has many advantages and:
- saves you and your colleagues time
- enables you to train in the comfort of your own working environment
- saves travel and accommodation expenses
- can be arranged at a time convenient for you
- sensitive issues can be discussed openly since no outsiders are present
Do you prefer an in-company CFE training? Please contact us for more information. We are more than happy to discuss the various possibilities with you.
In a recent job analysis study, ACFE assessed the current and expected future knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to show full proficiency as a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE). The results of this study were used to create a fully updated content outline for the CFE training and exam, with an additional focus on emerging schemes and trends, as well as the use of technology by both fraud perpetrators and fraud examiners.
This 5-day Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) training will help you master the following 4 concepts, related to the CFE exam:
The investigation part of the training covers the following domains:
- Domain 1 : Planning and conducting a fraud examination
- Domain 2 : Collecting evidence
- Domain 3 : Interview theory and application
- Domain 4 : Interviewing suspects and signed statements
- Domain 5 : Covert operations
- Domain 6 : Sources of information
- Domain 7 : Data analysis and reporting tools
- Domain 8 : Digital forensics
- Domain 9 : Tracing illicit transactions
- Domain 10 : Report writing
Ensures your familiarity with the many legal ramifications of conducting fraud examinations, including criminal and civil law, rules of evidence, rights of the accused and accuser, and expert witness matters. The following domains will be addressed:
- Domain 1 : Overview of the legal system
- Domain 2 : The law related to fraud
- Domain 3 : Bankruptcy fraud
- Domain 4 : Securities fraud
- Domain 5. : Money laundering
- Domain 6 : Tax fraud
- Domain 7 : Individual rights during examinations
- Domain 8 : The criminal justice system
- Domain 9 : The civil justice system
- Domain 10 : Basic principles of evidence
- Domain 11 : Testifying
III. Financial Transactions & Fraud Schemes
This part of the exam tests your comprehension of the types of fraudulent financial transactions incurred in accounting records. To pass the section Financial Transactions & Fraud Schemes, you will be required to demonstrate knowledge of the following concepts:
- Domain 1 : Accounting concepts
- Domain 2 : Financial statement fraud
- Domain 3 : Asset misappropriation: cash receipts
- Domain 4 : Asset misappropriation: fraudulent disbursements
- Domain 5 : Asset misappropriation: inventory and other assets
- Domain 6 : Corruption
- Domain 7 : Theft of data and intellectual property
- Domain 8 : Identity theft
- Domain 9 : Financial institution fraud
- Domain 10 : Payment fraud
- Domain 11 : Insurance fraud
- Domain 12 : Health care fraud
- Domain 13 : Consumer fraud
- Domain 14 : Cyber fraud
- Domain 15 : Contract and procurement fraud
IV. Fraud Prevention & Deterrence
Tests your understanding of why people commit fraud and ways to prevent it. Topics covered in this section include:
- Domain 1 : Understanding criminal behavior
- Domain 2 : White-collar crime
- Domain 3 : Corporate governance
- Domain 4 : Management's fraud-related responsibilities
- Domain 5 : Auditors' fraud-related responsibilities
- Domain 6 : Fraud prevention programs
- Domain 7 : Fraud risk assessment
- Domain 8 : Fraud risk management
- Domain 9 : Ethics for fraud examiners
When you successfully pass the official Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) exam, you are authorised to add the title 'CFE' to your name.
ACFE authorised trainers
This 5-day Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) training is facilitated by ACFE authorised trainers who possess the skills, knowledge and expertise required to deliver premium learning experiences. Your top-experienced trainers are:
Robert Lamers CFE
Robert Lamers is an anti-fraud and crisis management specialist and the managing director of Rolam Consultancy. He served as a senior corporate anti-fraud officer with NN Group and ING Insurance for many years. Until very recently Robert was Head of European Partnership Development at the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE).
- Robert is chief trainer of our CFE exam training and the official ACFE CPE trainings Fraud Risk Management and Conducting Internal Investigations.
Sonny Luypaert MBA CFE
Sonny Luypaert is president of ACFE Belgium and director with Triple-S Consulting, providing management consultancy in finance, Governance, Risk & Compliance (GRC), with a specialization in fraud detection and prevention. She is partner and director Europe at WislPort, whistleblowing consultancy. Previously, Sonny was director of finance & operations with the Boston Consulting Group Belgium and CFO with Accenture Benelux.
The Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) training consists of 5 days (from 9.00 hrs - 17.00 hrs). The training will take place on the following dates and locations, in-class as well as remote (live online), up to your choice:
Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) – Amsterdam and live online
- 15 - 19 January 2024
Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) – Amsterdam and live online
- 18 - 22 March 2024
Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) – Brussels
- 17 - 21 June 2024
Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) – Amsterdam and live online
- 18 - 22 November 2024
Fee / Registration
The fee for the 5-day Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) training is € 4,280 (VAT excl.). The fee includes:
- 5 days of training
- First-year associate membership with the ACFE (value $ 195)
- Exam fees plus official ACFE training materials (value over $ 1,200)
- Additional and exclusive training materials
- All lunches and coffee/tea